Haeggquist & Eck partner and trial attorney Amber Eck is a tenacious advocate for employees, consumers and shareholders, and has been for the past 24 years. Amber has taken cases to trial in both state and federal court as lead trial attorney, and has recovered millions of dollars for her clients in settlements, including multiple six- and seven-figure settlements. Amber doesn’t shy away from high-profile defendants — a fact well-illustrated by her role as co-lead counsel in the well-publicized class action against President Donald Trump and Trump University, which settled for $25 million. For her work in the case, which spanned seven years, Amber and her partners took no fees. In 2016, the Trump University settlement was deemed one of California’s Top 50 Class Action Settlements.
Amber has represented plaintiffs in employment cases for wrongful termination, sexual harassment, unequal pay, and discrimination based on gender, race, religion, pregnancy, disability and age against such major corporations as Trader Joe’s, LuLaRoe, Dollar Tree, Cemex, and an international fast-food chain.
Amber is dedicated to providing pro bono legal assistance to underserved populations. She is a current member of the Southern District of California’s Pro Bono Panel, and just this year was lead trial counsel representing an inmate in a jury trial for violation of his 8thAmendment rights. She is also a member of the Lawyers Club of San Diego Human Trafficking Collaborative. She previously received the SDVLP Distinguished Service Award for her pro bono work in the case Sanchez v. County of San Diego (alleging searches ofwelfare applicants’ homes were unconstitutional); and the Wiley M. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award for her work in Badua v. City of San Diego (contending that the City’s long-term disability policy unlawfully discriminated against employees with mental disabilities).
Amber frequently speaks on employment and other legal issues. She spoke most recently in January 2019 at the Public Interest Advocacy Collaborative on “Using a Victim Advocate to Strengthen Your Civil Case,” and served as a discussion facilitator at the Lawyers Club Solutions Summit on the topic of Eliminating Sexual Harassment, Sexism & Bullying in the Workplace. Amber was also a panelist discussing “The Law as a Tool” at the 2018 International Agro-Ecological & Environmental Conference in San Francisco, and was a panelist at the 2017 California Women Lawyers Conference on “Transitions to Leadership.” Amber has been a featured guest on ESPN’s Real Talk Downtown and a guest speaker on the topic of small law firms and solo practitioners at the Lawyers Club of San Diego’s annual symposium. She is a Master in the Welsh Inn of Court, member of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA), , Lawyers Club of San Diego, Federal Bar Association, Consumer Attorneys of San Diego and Consumer Attorneys of California.
Outside the office, Amber enjoys hiking, biking, skiing and scuba diving. Her favorite pastime, though, is spending time with her husband, Jeff, their two incredible daughters, Jordyn and Kathryn, and their poodle puppy, Cody.
- J.D., Boston University School of Law
- Magna Cum Laude
- B.A. in Communications and Marketing, Pepperdine University
- Magna Cum Laude
- San Diego Super Lawyer (2017-2019)
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program Distinguished Service Award
- Best Of The Bar, San Diego Business Journal (2016-2019)
- Finalist, San Diego Magazine Woman Of The Year Award
- Nominee, National Association of Women Business Owners’ Woman Business Owner of the Year and Trailblazer Awards
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent rated
- Confidential settlement, plus $1.2 million in attorney’s fees, in sexual harassment case against a national fast-food chain
- Confidential settlement in [x type of] case against national grocery chain
- $25 million for class members in high-profile consumer fraud litigation against then-presidential contender Donald Trump and Trump University (one of California’s Top 50 Class Action Settlements in 2016)
- $7.6 million in case against Pacific Coast Oil Trust
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California’s Pro Bono Panel
- Lawyers Club of San Diego Human Trafficking Collaborative
- Master, Welsh Inn of Court
- Class Action Preservation Project (CAPP) Committee of Public Justice
- Lifetime Member, Girl Scouts of America
- Volunteer, Genesis Diaz (Baja, Mexico)
- Deacon, Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church
- Christian Youth Theater
- National Association of Shareholder and Consumer Attorneys (NASCAT)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Federal Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego